It is the cancer of the lung’s parenchyma. Lungs are situated in thoracic cavity bounded in ribcage. The function of lungs is to provide oxygen to the body and remove carbon dioxide from the body.
Signs and symptoms of lung cancer include:
- Unintentional weight loss
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Blood in cough
- Chronic cough
- Bone pain
- Headache and migraine
Smoking is the major etiology factor of lung cancer. It causes the mutation in lung cell which elicit the cancer development. Chronic smoker has more tendency to developed lung cancer than non-smoker.
If left untreated it may cause the complications:
- Coughing with blood
- Breathing difficulty
- Pleural effusion
- Cancer spread to another site of the body
Diagnostic test for lung cancer includes:
- Blood test to check complete blood count.
- Sputum test to rule out any other cause.
- X-ray of chest to see the image of lungs
- Bronchoscopy to visualize the inner condition of air tube and lungs.
- Biopsy of lungs tissue.
Treatment option include:
- Surgical process includes segmental resection, lobectomy, and pneumonectomy.
- Radiotherapy to kill the cancerous cell by radiations
- Chemotherapy to kill cancer by drugs
- Immunotherapy to strong the immune system to fight with cancer