It is the most common tick-borne illness in the regions like United States, Europe and Asia. It is caused by four main species of bacteria namely Borrelia burgdorferi and Borrelia mayonii ( United States ), Borrelia afzelii and Borrelia garinii (Europe and Asia ). Lyme disease is transmitted by deer tick.
- Early signs and symptoms include appearance of red small bump resembling mosquito bite appear at the site of tick bite,
- After a month of infection some symptoms appear like rash, an expanding red area appear clear in the center known as Erythema migrans, fever chill, fatigue, body aches.
- Later symptoms are Erythema migrans on other sides of the body, joint pain neurological problems.
- Rarely hepatitis, eye inflammation, heart problems can also occur.
Lyme disease is caused by deer tick bite carrying Borrelia bacteria. Through the.bite bacteria enters the skin and goes into the bloodstream. Deer tick must be attached for 36 to 48 hours to cause disease in most of the cases.
- Longstanding joint inflammation lead to Lyme arthritis
- Facial palsy and neuropathy
- Impaired memory
Diagnosis of lyme disease is done by detailed medical history and complete general physical examination of the patient. Other tests include the following:
- Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) test.
- Western blot test
Treatment options include:
- Prescribing antibiotics either oral or intravenous
- Alternative treatment can be considered