It is defined as the inflammation of the breast tissue. Mastitis usually occur due to the infection. It is commonly occurred in lactating mother who nourished their children by mother feed. It makes difficulty in feeding process which is most irritating problem for mother.
Below mention are the signs and symptoms of mastitis:
- Breast tenderness
- Swelling at affected area
- Thickening of breast tissue
- Skin is warm and red
Main causes of mastitis include:
- Obstructed milk ducts if milk is not flow through the ducts then it is obstructed the milk and lodge the milk in the breast tissue which causes infection.
- Bacteria from your skin surface may enter through any wound or crack at the nipple area into your breast tissue and causing infection.
The complication of mastitis is the abscess formation. Due to the blockage of duct milk accumulated in the breast lobules and get superimposed infection and pus formation occur which is called abscess.
After taking history and conducting physical examination of breast to check the swelling, tenderness and any visible abnormality your doctor might recommend following test:
- Mammography to check any under lying causes
- Biopsy of breast tissue to check the any other cause.
Treatment option include:
- Painkiller like ibuprofen and acetaminophen for pain and tenderness.
- Antibiotics to treat the infection.
- Surgical drainage if pus formation occurs.
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
Along with treatment this tip will help you to reduce your symptoms:
- Wear a supportive bra
- Continue breast feeding
- Apply cool compressor to reduce the swelling