It is the rare condition which affect the carotid artery, present in the skull. Moyamoya is blood vessel disease which cause the blocking or narrowing of carotid artery due to which blood supply to the brain become reduce.
Signs and symptoms include:
- Visual disturbances
- Weakness in your face, arm or leg
- Movement disorder
The exact cause of this disease in still not known yet. But the prevalence of moyamoya disease is common in Asian countries which suggest that certain genetic factors involved in this condition.
If left untreated it may cause the following complications:
- Movement disorders
- Vision problems
- Development issues
After taking medical history your doctor will recommend the following test:
- Cerebral angiogram to check the obstruction in artery
- CT scan to see the detail images
- Doppler ultrasound to check the velocity of blood in vessels
- MRI to see images of brain
Treatment options includes:
- Blood thinner to decrease the risk of clot formation
- Anti-seizure drugs to reduce the seizures
- Calcium channel blockers to treat the headache and transient ischemic attacks
- Surgical process include direct revascularization procedure or indirect method.