It is defined as the cancer of white blood cell also known as plasma cell. Function of white blood cell is to fight with microbial and foreign substances and protect the body from getting infections.
Signs and symptoms of multiple myeloma includes:
- Bone pain
- Loss of appetite
- Excessive thirst
- Weight loss
The exact cause of multiple myeloma is not found yet but it is suggested that mutation in the cells of bone marrow which produce plasma cell cause abnormal growth of the cell which developed into cancerous form.
After taking medical history and conducting physical examination your doctor might recommend the following tests:
- Urine test to check the Bence jones protein.
- Blood test to check specific biomarkers of cancers
- Bone marrow aspiration to do to microscopic examination
- Imaging test to check the extend of disease.
Treatment option for multiple myeloma include:
- Immunotherapy to kill cancerous cell by using your own immune system
- Corticosteroids to kill cancer cells
- Targeted therapy in which only cancer cells are targeted by drugs to kill them
- Bone marrow transplant