It is defined as the inflammation of the musculature of the heart. It can affect the normal function of heart like muscular function of heart and electrical activity which impair the heart pumping ability and due to which arrhythmias occur.
Signs and symptoms of myocarditis include:
Below mention are the cause of myocarditis:
- Gastrointestinal infection also causes myocarditis
- Certain viruses also involved in the development of this disease like adenovirus, COVID-19 and parvo virus etc.
- Parasites infection
- Fungal infection cause by histoplasma also cause inflammation of the heart muscles.
If left untreated it may cause the following complications:
After taking medical history and conducting a physical examination your doctor might recommend a following tests to confirm the diagnosis:
- Blood test to check the any infection and serum protein
- MRI to see the heart actual size
- ECG to check the electrical activity of heart
- Chest x-ray to see the normal size and shape of heart
Mild cases of myocarditis resolve on its own but severe conditions required treatment which includes:
- Beta blockers to relax the heart muscles
- Diuretics to decrease the edema
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme to relax blood vessels