This is a skin condition which is characterized by itchy patches on the skin. Scratching of the patch result in the skin becoming more thick and leathery. This condition is also known as lichen simplex chronicus. This is neither a life-threatening condition nor contagious.
Neurodermatitis presents as:
- Skin patches which are itchy
- Affected skin become leathery
- Red or darker raised, rough patches on the skin
- Itchiness become so intense and nonstop
Main cause of this condition is not known. However, it begins when something like tight clothing or bug bite irritates the skin. In some cases it can be associated with chronic skin disease like psoriasis, eczema and dry skin.
- Disturbed sleeping
- Quality of life is affected
- Affected sexual function
Diagnosis of neurodermatitis depends upon detailed medical history and complete general physical examination of the patient. Sometimes skin biopsy is also necessary for diagnosis.
Treatment options include:
- Anti-itch medicated creams
- Corticosteroids injections
- Medications like antihistamines
- Anti-anxiety drugs
- Light therapy
Lifestyle and home remedies
- Avoid rubbing and excessive scratching of patches
- Sooth the skin by applying wet and cold compressor
- Avoid trigger
- Apply unscented moisturizer after taking small warm baths
- Trim nails toh avoid injury during uncontrolled scratching