Overview:This is a complex disease involving an excessive quantity of body fat. Obesity is just not related to cosmetic concerns but impose major health problems that increases the risk of other diseases and health problems.
Obesity is when body mass index (BMI) is 30 or higher. BMI is determined by dividing weight in pounds by height in inches squared and multiple by 703 or dividing weight in kilograms by height in meter squared. BMI doesn’t directly measures the body fat as some muscular athletes have BMI in obesity category but they don’t have excess fat.
- BMI Weight status
- Below 18.5 Underweight
- 5-24.9 Normal
- 0-29.9 Overweight
- 0 and higher Obesity
Many factors have role in obesity like genetic, behavioral, metabolic and hormonal. Obesity arises when calorie intake is more as compare to burning through exercise and normal daily activity. These excess calories are stored in the body as fat.
- Heart problems and stroke
- Diabetes type 2
- Some kind of cancers
- Infertility, erectile dysfunction in men, irregular menstruation
- Sleep apnea
Obesity is diagnosed by physical examination and detailed health history of the patient. Some other tests are done to rule out any further complications like:
- Blood tests
- Cholesterol test
- Liver function test
Treatment options include:
- Reducing calories and practicing healthier eating habits to reduce weight
- Avoid crash dieting
- Be active and exercise regularly
- Behavioral modification programs
- Anti-obesity medications include:Orlistat (Alli, Xenical), Phentermine and topiramate, (Qsymia), Bupropion and naltrexone (Contrave), Liraglutide (Saxenda, Victoza)
- Weight loss surgeries: gastric bypass surgery, Adjustable gastric banding,