It is a condition which is occurs due to the damage of the cartilage which act the cushion between the two bones at joint. It mostly occurs due to the aging process. Cartilage acts like a cushion between the two bones at joint. If treated early before the damage can occur then osteoarthritis reverse the joint mobility but if damage is occurred once then It can’t be treated.
Osteoarthritis include the following signs and symptoms:
- Extra bony growth along the existing bone called bone spur
- Pain at affected joint
- Stiffness and hardening of joint
- Tenderness at affected area
- Movement limitation at that joint
The exact cause of osteoarthritis is not known yet. It is a process of wear and tear constantly long before the sign and symptom may visible. Cartilage between the two bones at joint is completely damage then bones start to rub each other and produce friction which hurdle the movement.
If left untreated it may cause the complete damage to the cartilage which will not cure in any way without surgery. It also causes the chronic pain and joint stiffness. Sleep disturbance due to the pain may leads to the anxiety and depression.
After taking history your doctor may perform the physical examination to check the movement and tenderness at affect joint. To rule out the other condition he or she might recommend the following test:
- Blood tests to check the any infectious cause of joint stiffness and pain
- Synovial fluid analysis to check the presence of any causative organism
- X-rays to check the extend of disease.
Treatment may reduce the pain and inflammation and limit the complication.
- NSAIDs such as ibuprofen and naproxen may help to reduce the inflammation and reduce the pain.
- Acetaminophen will help in mild and moderate pain.
- Duloxetine is used to treat the chronic pain caused by osteoarthritis.
Therapy include the physical therapy and occupational therapy to help in the movement and increase the flexibility of joint.
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
Along with right treatment your lifestyle will also decide the outcomes of medications. Following tips will help you in achieving better life with osteoarthritis:
- Lose weight to reduce the pressure at affected joint
- Exrecise will help in strenghting the muscles and help to reduce the pain and joint stiffness.
- Warm therapy may reduce the pain
- Icing at affected area may reduce the swelling
- Topical analgesic also reduce pain at joint