It is defined as an infection which infect the bones. Infection spread through the blood or by nearby infected tissue. People with debilitating disease are at higher risk of getting infection.
Below mention are the signs and symptoms of osteomyelitis:
- Weight loss
- Swelling at affected area
Osteomyelitis occur due to the infection causing by certain bacteria mostly gram-positive staphylococcus bacteria involved in this condition. Bacteria enter the body through the hematogenous route or by open wound may also provide the portal of entry. During surgery there is a higher risk of entering of bacteria into the body.
If left untreated it may cause the following complications:
- Impaired growth if it affects the children.
- Septic arthritis
- Skin disease like sore and skin cancer
After taking history and conducting a physical examination your doctor may recommend a following test to rule out the other condition of bones:
- Imaging test like x-ray and MRI to check the extent of disease and condition of bones.
- Blood test to check the presence of causative organism.
- Bone biopsy to check the type of bone cells infected and stage of infection.
Treatment depend upon the severity of disease. Treatment option includes:
- Medications: antibiotic will help to reduce the infection along with pain killers for and steroids to reduce the inflammation.
- Surgical option for the treatment of osteomyelitis include drainage of the infected area, excision of the affected tissue, if whole bone is involved then it is better to remove the whole part of body to prevent the re-occurrence of disease and metastasis of infection.