Paget's Disease of the Breast
Paget’s Disease of the Breast
It is defined as the malignancy of breast which starts from the nipple and spread toward the areola (dark circle of skin) around the nipple. It is not associated with Paget’s disease of bone.
Signs and symptoms of Paget’s disease of breast includes:
- Thickening of skin on the breast
- Burning sensation
- Bloody discharged
- Lump in the breast
The exact cause of the Paget’s disease of breast is not clear yet but it may be assumed that mutation in the DNA of breast cell can cause the cancerous growth of cells.After taking medical history and conducting a physical examination your doctor might recommend a following tests to confirm the diagnosis:
- Breast biopsy to check the cell types and extend of disease
- Physical examination of breast
- Mammogram to see the breast tissue
- Lymph node biopsy to check the extend of cancer.
Complete cure is possible by surgery, treatment options include:
- Mastectomy to remove entire breast
- Lumpectomy to remove lymph node which is contaminated with cancerous cells.
- Chemotherapy also help as a adjuvant therapy