When a person has abnormal functioning, thinking and behaving abilities, he said to have a personality disorder. He has difficulty in doing interaction with people, maintaining good terms and has problem in work and social activities. The person is unable to understand this disorder because this behavior appears to be natural to him.
There are three ways in which a person with personality disorders presents. Personality disorders can be classified as follows:
Cluster A personality disorder: characterized by eccentric and odd behavior. It includes, paranoid disorder, schizoid disorder and schizotypal disorder.
Cluster B personality disorders: when person behaves overly dramatic, erratic, extra emotional, he said to have personality disorder of cluster B.
Cluster C personality disorders: person thinks anxiously, fearfully and inadequate of oneself. It could be dependent disorder, avoidant disorder, or OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder.
Personality of a person is made up of emotions, thoughts and behaviors which along with genes and environment are altered and shaped. The traits from genes are inherited by parents and they may get affected by the environment which includes people you meet or the events that happen in your life. The personality disorders are believed to occur due to influences of environment and genes on an individual.
Diagnosis can be done by:
- Physical exam
- Psychiatric evaluation
- Diagnostic criteria in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5)
Each personality disorder has its own criteria for diagnosis. But the a general diagnosis can be made through DSM-5 which basically includes improper cultural and social behaviors that are long-term.
These disorders have a long term treatment requiring months or years. It includes:
- Psychotherapy: this comprises of sessions with the individual, group of people, family, friends. Training for developing social skills are given. Makes the person to learn coping up with stress.
- Medications: Anti-depressants, Mood stabilizers, Anti-anxiety medicines, anti-psychotic medications can be prescribed to deal with the personality changes and lower the symptoms.
Lifestyle and home remedies
Lifestyle remedies go hand in hand with the treatment plan since they help improving the symptoms. They are as follows:
- Stay active
- Educate yourself about your condition
- Do not skip therapy sessions and be an active candidate in treatment.
- Do not miss any medication
- Avoid alcohol and drugs
- Routine medical care should be done