It is defined as the nonmalignant condition occur due to the formation of fibrous scar tissue which form on the penis due to which painful and curved erections occur.
Peyronie’s disease signs and symptoms includes:
- Painful erection
- Painful sexual intercourse
- Shortening of the penis
- Scar tissue
- Curved penis
The exact cause of this condition is still unknown but it may be assumed that many factors play role in the development of the scar tissue like damage during sex or any physical activity. Trauma may also cause scar tissue formation on penis.
After taking detail history your doctor might recommend the following tests include:
- Physical examination to check the erection, curved and texture of the scar tissue.
- Other tests include ultrasound to see any underlying deformity.
Treatment depend upon the severity of the signs and symptom. Treatment options include:
- Penile traction therapy to reduce risk of length loss
- Medications for erection
- Collagenase to reduce curvature
- Verapamil to control the blood pressure which disrupt the collagenase synthesis.
- Surgical procedure include to remove the scar tissue and grafting the another to prevent the length loss.