It is defined as the nerve which is under pressure of surrounding tissue and muscles or bones etc. Pressure may affect the normal function of nerve and causing numbness, pain and tingling sensation in the affected area.
Signs and symptoms of pinched nerve includes:
- Foot and hand fallen asleep frequently
- Muscle weakness
- Sharp burning pain
- Tingling sensation
- Pain radiating towards other areas of body
It is occurred due to compression of nerve by the surrounding tissue and muscles or bones. There are several conditions which predispose the pressure on nerves which includes:
After taking history your doctor might recommend the following tests to confirm the diagnosis:
- Ultrasound to see the images of your body inside
- MRI for detailed images
- Nerve conduction test to check the electrical activity of the nerves
- Blood test to check the complete blood count
- Physical examination
Treatment depends upon the severity of the condition which includes:
- Medications for pain like NSAIDs ibuprofen and naproxen sodium.
- Physical therapy to strengthen the muscles and stimulate the nerve function.
- Surgery to remove the pressure from the nerve