It is defined as the cancer of pineal gland which is present in the brain. Pineoblastoma is rare type of cancer but aggressive in nature. Pineal gland present in the center of your brain and produce hormone which is necessary for the sleep cycle, melatonin.
Signs and symptoms of pineoblastoma includes:
- Mood changes
- Changes in eye movement
- Mental illness
The exact cause of pineoblastoma is unknown but cancerous condition arise from the mutation which changes the cell DNA structure and cause uncontrolled growth.
After taking history your doctor might recommend the following tests:
- Lumbar puncture to analyses the CFS composition
- Imaging tests to check the extend of tumor
- Tissue biopsy to check the extend of malignancy
- Blood test to check the complete blood count
Below mention are the treatment options for pineoblastoma:
- Radiotherapy to kill the cancerous cell through radiations
- Surgery to reduce the obstruction in the flow of CSF which otherwise increase the intracranial pressure
- Surgical removal of tumor
- Chemotherapy to destroy tumor cells through chemotherapy drugs