It is defined as the tumor of pituitary gland which is located inside the brain. Tumor cause abnormal growth of the gland which produce increase amount of hormone and disturb the many important function of the body. Sometime rare tumor may produce decrease level of pituitary hormone which also disturb the normal body function.
Signs and symptoms of pituitary tumor includes:
- Vision loss
- Increase amount of urine
- Sexual dysfunction
- No menstrual periods
- Peripheral vision loss
- Discharge from breast
The exact mechanism of this tumor is unknown but mutation in the DNA of pituitary gland cells may cause the abnormal growth of the gland and produce the signs and symptoms. Sometime it occurs due to hereditary condition and runs in families.
This condition is difficult to diagnosis because their signs and symptoms mimic the other conditions. After taking detailed medical history your doctor recommends the following tests to diagnosis the tumor:
- Lumbar puncture to check any presence of abnormal substances
- Imaging test to check the extend of tumor growth
- Blood to check the level of hormones
- CSF test
- Visual acuity test
Below mention are the treatment options for pituitary tumors:
- Medications include prolactin inhibiting drugs like bromocriptine
- Radiotherapy to kill the cancerous cell through radiations
- Surgery to reduce the obstruction in the flow of CSF which otherwise increase the intracranial pressure
- Surgical removal of tumor by transcranial or trans nasal approach.
- Chemotherapy to destroy tumor cells through chemotherapy drugs.