Pneumothorax is a condition characterized by collapsed lungs. In this air leaks into the space between chest wall and lungs. This trapped air pushes the lungs making it collapsed.
Symptoms of this condition are:
- Sudden intense chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Blunt or penetrating chest injury
- Lung diseases like chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), cystic fibrosis and pneumonia.
- Ruptured air blisters
- Mechanical ventilation
Diagnosis of this condition depends upon detailed medical history and complete general physical examination of patient. Other tests to rule out pneumothorax is CT scan of chest or X-ray of chest.
Treatment options include the following:
- Observation of vitals of the patient
- Needle aspirations
- Chest tube insertion
- Non surgical repair
- Surgical repair is sometimes needed