It is defined as the illness which is occurred after previous polio illness. It mostly affects people of third and fourth decades of age. It is now uncommon condition because polio vaccine reduces the polio infection.
Signs and symptoms of post-polio syndrome include:
- Reduce tolerance of cold
- Muscle dystrophy
- Joint pain
- Breathing difficulty
- Swallowing problem
- General fatigue
- Joint weakness
The exact cause of this condition is still unknown but it may be assumed that previous polio infection which become latent in nerve cells ganglion become activated and produce signs and symptoms. Polio virus main target is motor neuron it damages the motor neuron.
If left unchecked it may cause the following complications:
- Falls due to muscles and joint weakness
- Respiratory failure
After taking medical history and conducting physical examination your doctor might asking some question about previous polio illness and recommend the following tests:
- EMG and nerve conduction test to check the electrical activity of the nerves to the muscles.
- Muscle biopsy to rule out the other causes of muscle weakness
- Blood test to check the complete blood count.
- Imaging test like X-ray and CT (Computerized Tomography) scan help to check the extend of disease
There is no cure for this illness only conservative and supportive treatment is available which includes:
- Speech therapy for speaking difficulties
- Physical therapy to strengthen the muscle and resume the daily activities
- Energy conservation through electrical devices which help in daily life chores.
- Medications for pain
- Sleep apnea treatment to reduce sleep problems
Lifestyle and home remedies
Following lifestyle tips will help you:
- Avoid falls
- Eat healthy food
- Avoid cold temperatures
- Limit activities
- Take rest
- Treat lung infection immediately and protect your lungs