It is defined as the depression which is occurred after delivery of baby or during postpartum period. Birth of a baby can stimulate the many strong emotions of happiness and joy but along this many unwanted emotions also triggered like depression and anxiety.
Signs and symptoms of postpartum depression include:
- Mood swings
- Loss of appetite
- Sleep problem
- Feeling of guilts
- Reduce interest and pleasure
The exact cause of this is still unknown but it may be assumed that many factors play role in the stimulation of this condition which include:
- Emotional changes due to sleep deprivation, pain and due to work overload suddenly after baby. You feel guilt and hopelessness and thought that you will not be able to do good take care of your baby etc.
- Physical changes include changes in the hormonal condition which contribute in the development of depression.
After taking medical history your doctor might be recommend the following tests to diagnose your condition:
- General physical examination to rule out any other cause
- Lab tests to check thyroid function and any other abnormality in other hormones
- Psychological counselling to rule out the other mental illness
- Blood test to check the complete blood count
Treatment depends upon the type and severity of depression. Treatment options include:
- Medications like antidepressants, mood stabilizing medications and anti-psychotic drugs will help to reduce the anxiety and depression.
- Psychotherapy provides immense help in reducing the signs and symptoms.
- Electro convulsion therapy sometimes used in the depressive disorders.
Lifestyle and home remedies
Along with treatment following home remedies will help to reduce the signs and symptoms:
- Avoid isolation and socialize with your close ones
- Take rest as much as possible
- Eat healthy food
- Do light exercise and yoga
- Ask help and be available for yourself