It is defined as the condition in which your blood pressure is high just after birth and having considerable number of proteins in your urine. It is just like the preeclampsia which is occur during pregnancy and resolve after birth. It Is mostly occurred during first and second day just after birth.
Signs and symptoms of postpartum pre-eclampsia include:
- Decrease urination
- Abdominal tenderness
- Severe headache
- High blood pressure
- Blurring of vision
The exact cause of this condition is still unknown but there are many factors which play in the development of postpartum pre-eclampsia like obesity, high risk pregnancy etc.
If left untreated it may cause the following complications:
- Stroke due to less blood supply to the brain
- Permanent damage to vital organ
- Pulmonary edema
For diagnosis of postpartum pre-eclampsia following tests will help your doctor:
- Urinary analysis to check the abnormal amount of proteins
- Blood test to check the complete count of blood cells
Treatment options for postpartum pre-eclampsia include:
- Anti-convulsant therapy to prevent the seizures
- Medications for hypertension to prevent the end organ damage.
- Anti-thrombotic drugs to prevent the thrombo-embolism