It is inflammatory condition which is cause by the bacteria called diffcile colitis or clostridium difficile.
Normally this bacterium resides in the colon but overgrowth of this bacteria causes this condition.
Pseudomembranous colitis includes the following signs and symptoms:
- Pus in stool
- Abdominal pain
- Dehydration due to vomiting and watery diarrhea
The bacterial called clostridium difficile is usually reside in the colon in the healthy person. But increase use of antibiotics and medication will change the normal flora of your colon and change the balance. And the increase the growth of C. difficile. Medication which change the normal flora include:
- Chemotherapy drugs
Other conditions like ulcerative colitis and crohn’s disease may also increase the risk of pseudomembranous colitis.
Complications may include:
- Kidney failure if left intreated
- Dehydration may lead to the shock
- Toxic megacolon
- Perforation in colon
Your doctor may recommend the following tests to diagnosis the condition:
- Blood test to check the complete count of blood cells
- Stool test: to check the presence of bacteria in fecal material
- Colonoscopy: to visualize the condition of colon.
Treatment options include:
- Take antibiotics which killed the C. difficle bacteria
- Stop the other medication which induce the condition
- Transplant the fecal microbial from the healthy donor in your colon.
- Surgery is the option for those who have chronic disease.
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
To reduce the signs and symptoms following tips will help you to cope up with disease:
- Drink more water
- Avoid spicy food
- Avoid over eating
- Avoid tea and caffeinated drinks in empty stomach.