This is the type of arthritis which occur in the patients suffering from psoriasis. Psoriasis is the skin condition in which skin is covered by silver scaly lesions on red patches.
Psoriatic arthritis, just like psoriasis, is a chronic disease which worsen over the course of time. It may mimic rheumatoid arthritis. Symptoms are:
- Swelling of fingers and toes resembling sausages.
- Pain in the foot sometimes leading to Achilles tendonitis or
- Planter fascitis
- Spondylitis and sacroilitis occur leading to lower back pain
Psoriatic arthritis occur due to overactive immune system of the body making it to react to body’s own cells and considering it antigen. It may sometimes be caused due to some genetical or environmental factors. Physical trauma or viral and bacterial infection can sometimes lead to this condition.
- Arthritis mutilans : it is serious and debilitating condition.
- Permanent deformation and disability in the joints
- Pink eye (conjunctivitis)
- Increase risk of cardiovascular disease.
Diagnosis involve complete history and complete general physical examination of patient. Other imaging tests and laboratory investigations are:
- CT scan
- Rheumatoid factor test
- Joint fluid test.
Treatment include following options:
- Medications like Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), Disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs), Immunosuppressants, biologic response modifiers are prescribed.
- Surgery is sometimes considered like steroid injections, joint replacement surgery.
- Wear some gadgets to protect your joints
- Monitor and keep you weight according to normal BMI.
- Be active and exercise regularly
- Limit your alcohol consumption
- Quit smoking