The obstruction of the pulmonary arteries which is present in your lung due to any blood clot which is coming from heart to the lungs and blocked the vessels. It is the serious condition which can be fatal if not treated promptly.
Signs and symptoms of pulmonary embolism include:
- Blood-stained sputum
- Chest pain
- Breathing difficulties
- Irregular heart beat
It is occurred blood clot from the heart obstructed the vessels in lungs. Deep veins thrombosis is the most common causes of the pulmonary embolism. Certain other things also involved in the blockages of arteries like fat from marrow of broken bones and air bubbles etc.
After taking history and conducting physical examination your doctor will recommend the following tests:
- Echocardiogram to check the electric activity of the heart
- X-ray of chest to check the images of lungs and heart
- Pulmonary function test
- ECG to see the electrical rhythm
- Cardiac catheterization to check the structure of heart
- Pulse oximetry to check the blood oxygen level
- To check blood gas concentration
- Ultrasound of lungs
- Pulmonary angiogram to check the patency of pulmonary arteries
Treatment of pulmonary embolism include:
- Medications like anticoagulants which is used to dissolve the blood clot
- Thrombolytics medicine
- Surgical process for clot remove include flexible catheter procedure and vein filter insertion procedure.