The condition in which large painful ulcer formed on skin. Most common site of ulcers is legs. There are many conditions which is associated with this condition. They usually heal quickly with proper treatment.
Signs and symptoms of pyoderma gangrenosum include:
- Red small bump on skin
The main etiology factor of this condition is still unknown but it many researchers suggest that it may be associated with certain autoimmune conditions like ulcerative colitis, arthritis, and Crohn’s disease therefore it assumed that it is an inherited condition in which genetic factor play role.
After taking history your doctor might recommend the following tests:
- Blood test to rule out the infection
- Skin biopsy to exclude the malignancy
Pyoderma gangrenosum usually resolve after treatment. Following treatment options include:
- Pain killer for pain
- Corticosteroids to reduce the inflammation and suppress the immune system.
- Cyclosporin to applied on wound
- Antibiotic ointment to prevent secondary bacterial infections.
- If not treated with medication, then surgical removal of the dead tissue will cure this condition.