The mental disorder which have signs and symptoms like schizophrenia. There are two types of this disorder bipolar type and depressive type. Delusions, hallucinations, and mood disorder are the main signs and symptoms. It can affect the work and social life and make difficulty in attending gatherings.
Signs and symptoms of Schizoaffective disorder includes:
- Unusual behavior
- Impaired occupational and social functioning
- Impaired speech
- Mood swings
The main cause of this disease is still unknown but it may assume that genetic factors play role in the development of this disorder.
After taking history your doctor will recommend the following tests:
- Psychiatric evaluation to check the mental status of patient
- Screening test to rule out the disease
- Physical examination to exclude the other problem
- DSM-5 test
Treatment options include:
- Antidepressant’s medications to reduce the depression and sadness
- Antipsychotics to reduce the signs and symptoms
- Mood stabilizing medicine to prevent the mood swings and mood disorders
- Psychotherapy also seems too helpful in mental disorders
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy to reduce the problem in speech.