It is defined as the cancer which involved the skin and start abnormal growth of skin cells. It Is mostly occurred due to chronic sun exposure. Types of skin cancer include, basal cell carcinoma, melanoma, squamous cell carcinoma. Squamous cell carcinoma is the most common type of skin cancers.
General signs and symptoms of all type of skin cancers include:
- Pearly or waxy bump
- Flesh colored scar
- Bleeding from sore
- Firm nodule
- Scaly crusted surface
- Painful burns
- Brownish spot
Mutation is the major cause of cancers. skin cancer arises when there is mutation in DNA occur. DNA is the main machinery of cell which tell the cell everything that how to grow and how to cope up with stress. Mutation altered the DNA and grow the cells in uncontrol fashion. Uv radiation from sun light is the most common cause of mutations in skin cells.
Diagnostic procedure includes:
- Examination of the skin to see the physical changes of the skin.
- Skin biopsy to check the type and stage of cancer.
Treatment depend upon the health condition of patient and the severity of signs and symptom of cancer:
- Surgery to remove the tumor or cancerous cells to prevent the metastasize.
- Radiotherapy to kill the cancer cells through radiation.
- Chemotherapy use drugs to kill the cancer cells.
- Immunotherapy to strong the immune system to fight with cancer
- Cryosurgery to freeze the cancer cells.