This type of allergy is due to soy which is the product of soya beans which is present in many foods like meat products, cereal, bakery items etc. It mostly presents in infancy due to consumption of soy-based formula products.
Symptoms presents within minutes to hours of consumption. Mostly it is not of a serious concern but sometimes can lead to life threatening condition.
- Tingling sensation in the mouth
- Hives and inflammation of skin.
- Swelling of mouth and face.
- Itching in nose.
- Facial flushing.
- Abdominal pain.
- Eczema and scaly skin.
Soy allergy occur due to the formation of IgE antibodies against the proteins of soy. After the first consumption of soy containing food body become sensitize. After second exposure a massive release of histamine and other chemical substances that lead to the appearance of signs and symptoms like hives, inflammation, itching and sometimes anaphylaxis and shock.
- Complete past and allergy history.
- Complete general physical examination.
- Skin test that detects possible allergen.
- Blood test that detects particular IgE antibodies.
- Preventing the consumption of soy containing food.
- Medication like antihistamines to ease the symptoms.
- Epinephrine injection in cases of medical emergency.
- Some other treatment options are oral (swallowed) immunotherapy (OIT) and sublingual (under the tongue) immunotherapy (SLIT).