This is a type of trauma induce injury of ankle that result from awkwardly rolling, bending, turning or twisting. This awkward movement can lead to the tear in the ligaments of your ankle. Ligaments help in stabilizing the joint by limiting the heavy movements.
Clinical features of this type of injury depends upon it’s severity and include;
- Pain which aggravate during weightlifting
- Swollen ankle
- Limited range of motion
- Pooping sound at the time of injury
- Ankle become unstable
Most common causes are;
- A high fall that landed on ankle
- Walking, running or exercising on uneven surfaces.
- During sports landing of another person on your feet.
Major complications can result from long standing strain. Some are;
- Chronic pain in ankle
- Long standing ankle joint instability.
Diagnosis is done after detailed examination of ankle and check for tenderness.Also trauma history also helps to diagnose the sprain.Few imaging test are done to evaluate the degree of tear like;
- CT scan
Treatment include some over-the-counter pain killers to ease the severe pain. Bandage and crutches or other walking aid devices can be use till the pain is relieved. Physiotherapy, balance and stability training are suggested to make the sprain less debilitating. Infrequently when damage is severe surgery is done to repair the ligament.
- Rest mostly. Don’t try to move ankle.
- Do icing on the affected part. It will help in reducing swelling and inflammation.
- Use elastic bandage to compress the swollen ankle.
- Elevate the leg and keep it in that way so that swelling can subside.