Cancer in stomach is developed in the lining of stomach which contain mucus producing cells which is also called adenocarcinoma. Stomach is a hollow organ which help in storing and digestion of food.
Signs and symptoms include:
- Weight loss
- Stomach pain
The exact cause of stomach cancer is not known yet. But mutation in DNA of stomach cells produce large quantities of abnormal cells which are the basis of cancer. some other aetiologic factor like GERD, obesity and smoking also involved in the development of cancer.
Diagnostic tests for cancer include:
- Endoscopy is a procedure to see the inner condition of stomach and esophagus with the help of the tiny camera which is present at the end of the endoscopic tube.
- Imaging tests like x-ray and ultrasound for the detailed images of stomach.
- Blood test to check the other cancer related protein and hormone.
Treatment option for stomach cancer include:
- Surgery to remove the cancerous involved lining of stomach.
- Subtotal gastrectomy to remove the portion of stomach.
- Total gastrectomy to remove the whole stomach.
- Radiotherapy to kill the cancerous cells by radiation.
- Chemotherapy to kill the cancer by the drugs.