Temporal Lobe Seizure
Temporal Lobe Seizure
These are the type of seizures that starts from the temporal lobe of the brain. Temporal lobe is associated with processing emotions and important for short term memory. These type of seizures are also called as focal seizures with impaired awareness.
Temporal lobe seizures is preceded by aura i-e unusual sensation that trigger seizure. Aura is not present in every temporal lobe seizures but not everyone remembers who has auras. Auras can be sudden unprovoked fear or joy, strange and sudden odor or taste, rising sensation in abdomen as occur in roller coaster. Some main signs and symptoms are:
- Loss of awareness of surroundings
- Smacking lips
- Picking motion or unusual finger movements
- Repeated swallowing or chewing movements
After temporal lobe seizure is over;
- There’s a short period of confusion and disturb speech
- Unable to recall the seizure period
- Unawareness of having had a seizure
- Intense sleepiness
- Sometimes temporal lobe seizures main evolve into generalized tonic-clonic (grand mal) seizure — featuring convulsions and loss of consciousness.
Exact cause of temporal lobe seizures is unknown but following factors have role in it’s development:
- Trauma to brain
- Encephalitis or meningitis
- Scaring in temporal lobe/ hippocampus
- Malformation of blood vessels in brain
- Tumor of brain
- Genetic syndromes
Diagnosis of temporal lobe seizures depends upon detailed medical history of seizure and it’s before and after scenarios. Complete general physical examination is also important. Other tests include:
- Neurological test
- Blood tests
- Electroencephalogram (EEG).
- Imaging tests like : computerized tomography (CT) scan, MRI, positron emission tomography (PET), single-photon emission computerized tomography (SPECT).
Treatment options for temporal lobe seizures include:
- Certain anti-seizures medications
- Surgical treatment
- Vagus nerve stimulation
- Dietary therapy
- Responsive neurostimulation
- Anti-seizures medication can interfere with the effectiveness of oral contraceptives. So this element should be considered of contraception is high priority