This type of headache is characterized by diffuse, mild to moderate pain in the head being described as a feeling of tight band around head. Tension type headache is the commonest type of headache, but it’s causes are still unknown.
Symptoms of tension headache are:
- Aching dull head pain
- Feeling of tightness and pressure across forehead or side and back of head
- Scalp, neck and shoulder muscles become tender
- Tension headache are of two types- episodic and chronic.
The exact cause of tension headache is still unknown. Studies shows that tension headache starts due to muscle contractions in the face, neck and scalp probably as a result of increase emotions, tensions or stress. But this alone is not the cause. A common symptom of tension headache is increase muscle tenderness. It results from sensitized pain system. The most common trigger for tension headache is stress.
Diagnosis of this condition depends upon detailed medical history and complete general physical examination of the patient. Sometimes imaging tests are also required to do the diagnosis. These include CT scan and MRI.
Treatment options include:
- Medications are prescribed like painkillers, Triptans and narcotics for acute attacks
- Medications to prevent the episodes of headache are tricyclic antidepressants, Anticonvulsants and muscle relaxants
Lifestyle and home remedies
- Reduce the stress level by organizing every day
- Apply heat or ice on sore muscles
- Maintain a good posture