It is the painful condition of thumb joint which is common with aging, when cartilage between the bones at joint is wear away from the base of joint. It is the painful condition which cause movement limitation at thumb joint and cause swelling at affected join.
The main symptom of thumb arthritis is pain and swelling at thumb join. Pain occurs when you try to perform task with your thumb. Common signs and symptoms include:
- Decrease strength of joint during grasping of things
- Movement limitation
- Joint stiffness
The most common cause of thumb arthritis is senile arthritis which is occur with the aging process. Trauma or injury at joint also the reason of this condition. Cartilage provide the cushion between the bones at joint so when cartilage is damage then both bones at joint rub to each other. There is a condition called spur, new bone growth along the existing bone which produce the lump and enlarged mass at joint.
After taking medical history and family history your doctor performs a physical examination to check the tenderness and movement at joint. Following test will help you to diagnose the thumb arthritis.
- X-rays will show the worn-down cartilage and bone spurs
Treatment option depend upon the severity of disease mild and moderate cases might be cured with medications but severe case may require surgery.
- Pain killer for the pain such as tylenol, ibuprofen etc.
- Prescribed steroids for pain like celebrex.
- Topical medication like diclofenac.
Splint help in following ways:
- Rest your joint
- Reduce pain
- Correct the position of your joint while using the joint
Corticosteroids may help to reduce the pain.
Surgical process includes:
- Joint replacement
- Joint fusion
Home remedies can reduce your pain and swelling:
- Icing the affect area to reduce the swelling
- Replace things in your house which require grasping action of thumb like jars and door handles etc.