It is defined as condition in which your vaginal wall become thin, dry and inflamed due to the low estrogen level. It is mostly occurred in old women after menopause. It may lead to painful vaginal sex and cause difficulty in urinary function.
Signs and symptoms may include:
- Pain during intercourse
- Urinary incontinence
- Vaginal burning
- Dryness at vagina
- Itching at affected area
- Frequent urination
- Bleeding after intercourse
- Tightening of vaginal wall
Vaginal atrophy usually occurs in old women who reached at menopause. Estrogen level may drop due to following condition:
- After chemotherapy
- Increase prolactin secretion during breast feeding
- After menopause
- After surgical removal of ovaries
- Radiation therapy of pelvic
- Side effects of breast cancer
If left untreated it may lead to following complications:
- Urinary problems and infection of urinary tracts
- Vaginal infections due to the disturb ph. of vaginal fluid
Diagnostic tests may include:
- Acid balance test. To check the ph. of vaginal fluid
- Urine test. To rule out the infectious causes.
- Pelvic examination to check the physical condition of genital area.
Treatment options may include:
- To provide the painless sexual intercourse and provide the lubrication in the vaginal canal.
- Vaginal moisturizers to decrease the dryness of vagina. It may provide longer effects than lubricants.
- Topical estrogen to reduce the signs and symptoms they are available in gel and cream forms.
- Systemic estrogen therapy in severe cases.
- Vaginal dilators to stretch the vaginal muscles and make intercourse less painful.
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
- Try lubricants and moisturizer at the vaginal area
- Use vaginal dilator
- Try different positions of sex which may help to reduce the pain during intercourse
- Give time to vagina to produce natural lubricant after sexual arousal.