It is defined as the pain or discomfort at the opening of vagina and in surrounding tissue. The characteristic of pain is of burning type and it remains for more than 3 months or more, there is no exact cause of this condition known yet.
Signs and symptoms include:
- Painful intercourse
- Throbbing pain
Some possible causes of pain include:
- Hormonal changes
- Vaginal infection
- Injuries to perineal nerves
- Muscles twitching and spasm
Complication due to this condition mention below:
- Sleep disturbances
- Relationship problems
- Sexual dysfunction
- Altered body shape
Diagnosis can be occurred by:
- Pelvic examination to see any physical abnormality around the vagina and vulva.
- Medical history about drugs and lifestyle
- Vaginal fluid test to check presence of any causative organism.
Treatment options include:
- Local anesthetic like lidocaine gel or cream to reduce the pain before or during sexual intercourse.
- Anti-histamines to reduce the itching
- Muscles relaxant to reduce the muscles spasm
- Nerve block by injecting local anesthetic
- Surgery to remove the affected the affected skin and tissue to reduce the pain and cut nerve fibers.
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
- Avoid wearing tight undergarments.
- Avoid hot baths
- Take bath in lukewarm water with Epsom salts
- Avoid using pads
- Avoid using deodorant at affected area
- Use lubricant before sexual intercourse
- Wash the area gently